Skip to main content

Superclass at the Societies Convention on Child Portraiture

This is already starting to feel like ages ago even though it took place less than a week ago. But I thought I'd share with you what we got up to at 9am on Sunday after the Awards dinner.

I began the class with the usual Power Point going over what to consider when planning portraits. We covered clothing choice, appropriate props, lighting patterns, white balance and more.  And then we went into a lighting demonstration.

(Thank you to Lee Broders for supplying me with some images - I've never had any photos of me working like this before)

I was fortunate enough to have a wonderful little boy named Noah join us as my model.  He made the journey from Leicestershire just so he could model for me (and enjoy a day out in London).  I was so glad he came in the end because he did exactly what I wanted him to.  He posed lovely in his usual sweet style and helped keep me at ease when demonstrating.  You never know what you will get with children and having a room full watching isn't the easiest place for a 4 year old to perform, but he did.


During this class we talked a bit about posing, lighting, sorting and processing.  In the end there was so much to cover I'm not sure I did it all justice and perhaps next year this could actually be 2 separate talks.  I'm sure I could have stretched this to 8 hours.  I'm just not sure how best to break it up. Any suggestions are welcome.

I would like to share a few finished images.  The first 3 illustrate the differences in fill intensity, as we briefly discussed during the class.  I would have preferred a much stronger contrast between the 3 but hopefully this explains it well enough.

(A Strong Fill Light)

(Fill Light that I think is just right)

(No Fill Light)

Now as I said during the class, this all comes down to personal preference and the subject at hand. Consider the image you wish to create when setting your lights.  The key light is where the correct exposure must come from.  The fill light just opens up the shadows to the degree that you feel is necessary.  And thankfully we shoot digital so its easy to see if we are getting what we want quit quickly.  The more you get to know your equipment and your desired effect the easier it will be to set the lights without even thinking about it.  


And here is another image where we tried to get the white background to go very dark.  This is something that is easy to do with a little more space and a grid applied to the keylight to stop the fall off from reaching the paper.  Unfortunately we were just a little too close and too much light was hitting the background paper.  But hopefully you still get the point.  

I've finished these images as covered during the class. This is also typical of the way I often process my own studio work and it is much the same as the work I did on my Fellowship panel.  

For those in the class I hope you gained a lot from it. You are welcome to get in touch if you have any questions.  And for those not in the class, maybe I will get to see you next year.  I will hopefully be speaking there again.  In the meantime if you wish to attend a class with me, either as a group or on a one to one basis please get in touch.  You can reach me on 01455 611069 or email me at christina_lauder@btconnect.com.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portraits Even a Teenager Boy Loves

Finally I've had the opportunity to photograph a young man in my studio again. And funnily enough this was the second time that week which is absolutely superb. In both cases these young men were just as enthusiastic to be involved as I was, which is something I don't often get when I'm working with very young children, my usual subjects. With young children I find my energy in their cuteness. But with young adults I get energy from their excitement over how the portraits are working out. I get such a buzz from the experience and that can keep me going for hours, often editing the photos straight after the shoot for hours more.


Shoots for teenagers is something I've been wanting to focus on for some time. Its not something that I often get asked for though unfortunately. It tends to be parents of very young children who want to capture moments that are slipping through their fingers at lightening speed. Maybe its teenage moodiness that means these moments don't fe…

Introducing Claude - Another Fantastic French Bulldog

I know this breed is becoming very popular, I believe even set to take over the top spot for most popular breed from the Golden Labrador, but I never expected to get quite so many in my studio. Can't say I'm complaining though. They have such a wonderful character and I love to capture those adorable squished up faces.


This client came in not just for personal portraits though. Instead she is developing a line of homemade all natural dog treats called Claude's Little Doggie Bag and these portraits are to be used in her labels. Which is partly the reason why these images differ quite drastically from my usual style.


This client had a very specific idea for what she wanted on her labels. But again, this is perfect for me because I just love variety. I don't really want to be creating the same work over and over again. This gave me the opportunity to revisit a style I've not used in some time.


This little guy was just 14 weeks old so as  you can imagine, I had a grea…

How Wonderful it is to Create Mother and Son Portraits

Much of what I do has been about babies and little girls and recently I've begun encouraging mothers to be included in portraits with their daughters as I find it is so important to capture the mother/child relationship, or father/child relationship for that matter. It was posting one such image that attracted this next client and got her to book in with me as she wanted something to mark her son's 21st year with a memory to cherish before he goes off to live his life as an adult.


I often feel that these are more for the children to appreciate later in life and I tell my clients this when they are hesitant to have their portrait done. I think its hard to ever see our parents as anything but old because to us they are always old. When we are little 30 is ancient. Then as we grow, whatever age they are still seems so far away to us. So parents are just always old. Having a special portrait will serve as a wonderful reminder of an earlier time in our lives and help us remember ou…

Experiencing a Photography Career by Libby Noden

My name is Libby Noden and I am from Hastings High School. I chose to do my work experience with Christina because I am highly interested in photography and modelling. Doing work experience at Christina Lauder Portraits has made me realise that the working world is totally different to what i though it was like. I've done my work experience with my friend Ella who is also interested in photography.

Photography is all about how a photo is formed from the camera to computer. Photoshop is also a big part of being a photographer. Luckily, part of my experience was learning how to use Photoshop and this will have a big impact on me as i am taking photography for GCSE. On the first day, we watched Christina edit and prepare for a viewing. We also used Pinterest to come up with ideas for our own shoot. On the second day, we helped Christina with a photo shoot with a small French Bulldog which was very fun and different. After that, we continued with our panning for our shoot then helped…

My photography work experience by Ella Carter

My name is Ella Carter and I am from  Hastings High School. I spent the week doing my work experience with Christina Lauder portraits. I chose to do my work experience with Christina because I have a great interest in photography and I wanted to know more about the career. I've done my work experience with my friend Libby Noden who also has an interest in photography.


On the first day we mostly watched Christina edit photos on the computer using Photoshop and Lightroom. By watching Christina develop some images and talk us through what she was doing made me realise the hard work and effort which has to be put in to get the perfect image. Also, it has taught me new skills which I can use in my own work and in the future. The next day, Libby and I helped set up and photograph the french bulldog puppy. Personally, this was my favourite day because we had the experience of watching Christina do her work and watch how she takes and develops her photos. Also the different props and styl…